Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:59:48 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Dixit, Viraj" <Viraj.Dixit@CityofPaloAlto.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Host Name Lookup Error

On Feb 1, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Dixit, Viraj wrote:
> Just installed FreeBSD 5.3, all seems to be working except the error
> from sendmail. I can ping the mail server in the domain that I am
> trying to send the mail. But the mail gets send to my "
> /var/spool/mqueue" directory. The error is "host name lookup failure".

Configure /etc/resolv.conf with working nameservers, and then flush the
queue of stuck mail.

>  I want to put this system on line as production system soon. On last
> thing "syslogd" does not put out any logs under "var/logs". Any ideas,
> I have been looking in FreeBSD archives.

I would try restarting syslogd using the -d flag and use "logger -p
kern.warn" to test it.  Perhaps your /etc/syslog.conf file is not
formatted correctly.  Oh, you might need to touch any new logfiles you
want to log to, if they do not already exist.

--
-Chuck