Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:06:42 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4

On 2000-Mar-15 05:33:56 +1100, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
>Also, RELENG-3 is still there.  I just supped it yesterday.

RELENG_3 will exist for evermore.  At time passes, fewer changes will
be made to it.  You can still get RELENG_2_0, RELENG_2_1 and
RELENG_2_2.  The only reason you can't get RELENG_1 is that it was
based on the NET/2 code, which was all expunged as a condition of the
AT&T/USL lawsuit.

>IMHO, I'd treat this just like the upgrade from 2.x.2 to 3.0;

I believe 4.0-RELEASE will be more stable than 3.0-RELEASE, and the
upgrade procedure should be cleaner, but it will have a few rough
edges.  I wouldn't recommend putting 4.0 into production without
thorough testing.

Peter