Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:22:04 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partitioning suggestions?

Hi all. I just got a new 6.5GB SCSI disk, and I'm going to reinstall
FreeBSD (probably tonight, maybe in a few days). I'm wondering what
people suggest for slicing up a large disk like that to make it
easier to do system upgrades, make worlds, etc..

I'm thinking something like this:

Mount	FS		Size
--------------------
/		UFS		50M
swap			128M
/tmp	UFS		80M		(nosuid)
/var	UFS		65M
/usr	UFS		2.5G
/srcs	UFS		1G
/home	UFS		the rest

This is my home machine, so a small /var is fine. /home on a seperate
parition so I can nuke the rest and keep my files. I may make /usr
larger, since I really don't have much in my home directory.. (right
now only a couple hundred MB, but I'm quite tight on space).
I plan on holding the FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Linux sources on /srcs -
I'm going to install NetBSD on the old 1.2GB SCSI disk. That way
I can link /usr/obj in FreeBSD to the NetBSD /usr/tmp/obj and vice
versa to get /usr and /obj on different spindles for both FreeBSD and
NetBSD builds.

Does this seems reasonable, or should I be leaving more/less room in places?

TIA for any tips,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU