Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:04:53 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jamie Heckford <heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: documentation project

Jamie,

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 12:07:23PM +0100, Jamie Heckford wrote:
> I would be interested in writing documentation, do you have a "to-do"
> or "wish list"?

[...]

> Jamie Heckford
> Chief Network Engineer
> Psi-Domain - Innovative Linux Solutions. Ask Us How.

I'd love to see a "FreeBSD for Linux users" document, that goes through how
a FreeBSD box is configured as compared to a Linux box.

For example.

   Section 16     Users, groups, and passwords

     FreeBSD has users, groups, and passwords, as do all Unix variants.
     Passwords are stored in /etc/master.passwd, while the other user
     information is stored /etc/passwd.  Group information is stored in
     /etc/group.

     16.1  Editing /etc/passwd

     Don't.  Because user information is stored in /etc/master.passwd and
     /etc/passwd, if you just edit one or the other they will get out of
     sync.  Instead, use the vipw(8) command, which will launch $EDITOR.

     When you have finished editing the password file, vipw(8) will ensure
     that changes you make are propogated correctly.

     16.2  Adding a new user

     On Redhat you would use ...

     On Debian you would use ...

     On SuSE you would use ...

     On FreeBSD, use the adduser(1) command.  A typical run would be ...

And so on, and so forth.

You don't need to write the whole thing.  Frankly, right now I'd just like
to a see skeleton document with some bits filled in.  Other people can
fill in specific sections as necessary.

How does that sound?