Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:11:18 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP quandry... .

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:09:10 -0800
Gary Kline <kline@magnesium.net> wrote:

> 	At any rate, *where* is the IMAP stuff stashed on aristotle?   A
> 	mail app called "dovecot" is installed.  Is the password stuff
> 	kept somewhere in plaintext?

for dovecot, check /usr/local/etc/dovecot.* ... if you keep the passdw in a
file, it may be called dovecot.passwd

> And:: WHY do I need this level of
> 	security?  I would rather not have any password protection on my email...

I assume your server is in your LAN, otherwise the question is a bit silly :)

but even in your LAN, you are open to attacks which would have it that much
easier if you don't have any password set at all. And, without passwords, what
would you do with all those password keeper files and post-it notes on your
monitor ;-)
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital.  On the other
hand, if he were already in, I don't think they'd let him out."

Warned.