Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:43:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        stuyman@confusion.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI sound

> What's the status of PCI sound under FreeBSD?  LINT doesnt even mention
> them, and a search of the mailing lists makes some unclear mention that
> pcm0 supports a specific Soundblaster PCI soundcard.

The Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard is supported.

Its chip (ES1370 and successor ES1371) has been used in many
similiar PCI cards by other vendors.

Later, Creative Labs bought Ensoniq and released the Soundblaster PCI 128
and SB PCI 64 cards.

The original AudioPCI is probably closest to the SB PCI 128, the SB PCI 64
is reported to be equipped with a bit lesser quality CODEC.

There is a nice web site dedicated to AudioPCI cards:

    http://www.netexcite.com/audiopci/index.html

That is why I would either recommend a plain old Soundblaster 16 or
a AudioPCI clone.

I have no clue if there is any support for the Soundblaster Live!
card. Last time I bothered the specs were not available.

Regards,
Marc