Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:18:15 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "injunction" on the use of GA

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:07:46PM +0200, dt71@gmx.com wrote:

> 1. I was unable to find any traces of such a discussion.

Then you did not look.

> Apparently, if there was a discussion, it was held between a small,
> closed group.

Small, yes. Closed, not so much.

> People only annoy me when they point me to previous discussions --
> ones that I have participated in -- or to the announcement.

So, you are also deeptech71 at gmail.com?  If so, then you are what you
claim others are.

Why you felt compelled to offer people the opportunity to argue that you
are excessively mailing the lists by your act is not something I quite
understand, ESPECIALLY since you do, in fact, know of (having
participated in it) the discussion in question.

And FWIW, it's not the community that, AFAICT, arguing against GA. It's
a few people in that community who, apparently, don't wish to use any
sort of localhost mechanism to adress the issue. Again, FWIW: I would
prefer the FBSD project did not use GA; but it does and for good
reasons.  Weblog analysis is hard. Google, with its analytics, does it
well. The project needs that analysis.

As for localhost solutions, I accept no cookies from google and I run
Privoxy. WRT Privoxy, I'm self taught; and anyone who has a concern
about that sort of thing can do the same.

Joe