Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:09:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        <scanner@jurai.net>
Cc:        Patrick <patrick@eahd.or.ug>, Daniel Harris <dannyboy@worksforfood.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: postfix && Maildir

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 scanner@jurai.net wrote:

> > >And understand the negatives of using the Maildir format?
> >
> > No. Could you please point me to some documentation on that?

> Maildir. Basically what it boils down to is if you have very little mail
> Maildir is just as good as mail box format.

This is one of those near religious discussions.
They both have issues.
I have an old Solaris machine I am soon migratin to FreeBSD/Communigate
Pro. One of the users had been leaving all his mails since sometime last
year. His Mbox was 50MB+ when I discovered it. Every time he checked his
mail, every 3 minutes, the utilization would jump to 50%+ and become
unresponsive.

True it is an old Sparc 2, but think what would happen, even on a new
machine, if 10 users had 50MB MBox files and they all had their mail set
to check every 60 seconds. (kind of worst case scenario).

There are also things which can be done with Maildir such as have only 1
instance of a mail in the entire server for ALL recipients. Communigate
Pro does this and I think it is a great feature.

Another example. With the new mailserver I am working on to implement in
the near future, I want to see if I can push for using Web interface
instead of mail clients (many people use Outlook and this is a security
risk, even though after been attached 4 times networking is now putting
virus checking at the firewall). If I do get users to use the web based
mail then most users will leave/store tons of mail. If using MBOX this
would translate into having to read those large MBOXes often.

Just my RD .02 cents ( = 6.06x 10^-4 $).