Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:58:40 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new package fetching utility, pkg_get

--==_Exmh_-83037056P

If memory serves me right, "Andrew Reilly" wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 08:09:13AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:22:34AM +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> > > What I'd like is a little weekly crontab script that runs after
> > > my weekly ports cvsup, and tells me which of the ports that I
> > > "subscribe to" has changed, so that I can think about rebuilding it.
> >
> > ports/sysutils/pkg_version.
> >
> > Then apply the patches at
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/pkg_version.diff
> >                                 pkg_version.1.diff
> >
> > and use the -c flag.
>
> This is lovely.  And it re-inforces one of my pet theories: if
> you want a program badly enough that you're prepared to write
> it, someone else almost certainly has...

FYI:  I've kind of dropped the ball on further revisions to pkg_version,
mostly since it does what I need it to do right now, there are other
people whose Perl hacking skills far surpass mine, and I suffer from the
same chronic lack of time that most people around here have.  However...

pkg_version is supposed to go into -STABLE once billf gets some time to
import it, and then hopefully it'll be easier for people to add
bugfixes and functionality (i.e. whomever reads PRs will probably be
more responsive than I've been).

Cheers,

Bruce.
(instigator of pkg_version)