Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:49:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD questions)
Cc:        jandrese@jandrese.async.vt.edu
Subject:   Re: Vi and mapping keys

> Sorry I can't help you with your problem, however I also like Vi.  Anyway, I have found an excellent vi-like program vim (which stands for vi improved), which does away with a lot of the annoying aspects of vi (as options).  Vim can act almost entirly like vi, or like a somewhat friendlier editor (features like deleting anywhere with the backspace key when in insert mode, deleteing/auto-append lines, and a little reminder on the bottom of the screen telling you what mode your in (plus a lot more).
> The port is in ports-current/editors/vim/

Hi!

Please, type in a little shorter line!  Thanx!

1) nvi can delete with the backspace key in insert mode, but it doesn't show
(as the original vi did it) - it's a compatibility "bug"
2) nvi can delete autoappended new-lines - uncompatibility
3) it can show you the mode, try the ":set showmode" option (in newer
versions, we can use the short form ":set smd", too).  Put it into your
$HOME/.exrc:
set showmode
(without the : !), and nvi will do it, too.  - compatibility, too.

Of course, doesn't do so many thing.  And of course, there are so many
vi-like editors: elvis (I like it more then vim), a really old one: stevie,
another: xvi.  And a very good one: vile/xvile (VI-Like Emacs w/o X
interface)

Bye, Gabor