Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 02:24:45 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: still partition/slice restrictions?

Jay Krell wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html#AEN585
>
> Q: Any restrictions on how I divide the disk up?
>
> A: Yes. You must make sure that your root partition is below 1024 cylinders
> so the BIOS can boot the kernel from it. (Note that this is a limitation in
> the PC's BIOS, not FreeBSD).

How hard would it be to create a PC BIOS that is oriented toward the BSD
or Linux crowd?  It seems that with resources freely available such as
OSKit it would not be that difficult.  I'd like to see a BIOS that has
its own lightweight repair shell so you wouldn't need boot floppies in
times of trouble.  Any ideas?
--
Best Regards, Joseph

	You will do foolish things,