Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:51:02 -0800
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com>
To:        "'rocky'" <rocky@pokpok.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: SATA 80G HDD can't detect

> On Behalf Of rocky
> Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 5:20 PM
> Subject: SATA 80G HDD can't detect
>
> Dear all,
>
> I got the Dell PE850 server, which is running SATA with 80G
> HDD, but I try to boot it up and install the FreeBSD6.0,
>
> it can detect the Disk Controller but any HDD.
>
> In the boot up screen, it show me the chipset is ICH7.
>
> Please help.

The ata driver in 6.0 supports ICH7 (man ata).

First, double check the fundamentals:  cables, power, BIOS, and the
daughter card connector.  Try the other SATA connector on the MB's
daughter card.  Does the BIOS see and correctly identify the HDD?  Is it
set to boot from a SATA or a SCSI drive?

Second, run the system diagnostics that came with the PE850.  (They take
a long time to run.)  What do the disk diagnostics say?  [Hopefully,
since FBSD can't see the HDD, you haven't blown away the utility
partition on your HDD.  If you have, then you'll have to download them,
repartition the HDD and reinstall them.)  Cf.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe850/en/it/t8652c30.htm#w
p1053632

Third, run the disk manufacturer's diagnostics.

Hopefully, all hardware checks ok including the HDD, and the BIOS can
boot the system utilities (which in particular means it can read/write
the HDD.)  I'm assuming you can boot FBSD's first installation disk.
You'll need to post the dmesg from that.  Also tell us precisely what
the "fdisk section" says.

Good luck!

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.