Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:08:13 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to build only the port from source, and install dependencies from packages with the make command?

David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 10:35:21AM -0700, Yuri wrote:
>> Sometimes instructions to build some port from source are needed. "cd
>> /usr/ports/{caregory}/{port-name} && make" rebuilds everything from
>> source, including dependencies.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to make it install missing dependencies with pkg,
>> without listing them? I couldn't find such feature.
>
> I won't claim it's especially "easy," but within the port directory --
> prior to attempting to build the port -- one can run:
>
> 	make missing
>
> to find out what   are needed.  Given that list, one could
> conceivably install the requisite packages.
>
> Caveat: I have not actually done this.
>
> Peace,
> david

I do this every new release.

I build the ports tree with just the ports I want to compile and just
the ports tree items required to perform the real compile. All those
massive ports files are not contained in my ports tree.

make missing   on the port I want to compile to get dependencies
them pkg install for each dependence followed by the ports compile of
the  selected port