Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:22:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Julien Gabel" <jpeg@thilelli.net>
To:        "Daniel Rock" <freebsd@deadcafe.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun U20 supported, fully/partially working... or not at all?

>> I am currently looking for feedback on using a Sun Ultra 20 Workstation.
>>
>> I didn't found anything on freebsd-amd64@, nor in the list of supported
>> motherboards (http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html).
>> Only the Sun Fire V20z seems ok.

> The Ultra-20 contains just an ordinary Tyan Tomcat K8E (S2865) mainboard
> with some components stripped off (just like the X2100 server BTW). I see
> no reason why it shouldn't run FreeBSD.

Certainly, even if the FreeBSD report's feedback is not very optimist
on this particular mainboard (mainly because some of the main components
are not _yet_ tested, as PCI-E or onboard Gig-E).

> The following components from a normal S2865 are missing on the U-20:
> - no PS/2 mouse/keyboard ports - USB should work though
> - no serial port

Not having a serial port may be a problem.  Is it possible to use the
USB port to act a serial for console access?

> - no bge ethernet, only nve
>
> The last one should be really annoying since the nve driver on FreeBSD
> is still quite buggy.

Since we certainly will use an other ethernet card on bus PCI, the last
point is annoying but not for the moment (we doesn't use Gig-E yet, just
100Mbps (as with nve(4), it seems)).

Thank you.

--
-jpeg.