Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:20:17 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple HDD Devices.

Joe Oliveiro schrieb:

> I've seem to have stumbled upon something which i havnet before. Im no
> newbie either.
>
> When i run /stand/sysinstall, configure, label i see the following devices
> wd1, wd2, ad1, and ad2. I have two hard drive (ad1, ad2). Im not sure
> where these wd* devices are coming from.
>
> >From playing around with them a little it appears that ad1 and wd1 are
> both the same hard drive and ad2 and wd2 are the same. I found this
> out by mounting the wd* devices and seeing that they both contain
> the same files. Partitions on ad1/wd1 are the same, as with ad2/wd2.
> Anyone have any input as to why this is happening?

Recently (about six months ago), the newer ad drivers were introduced
into the stable tree. Before that, the wd drivers where used. Since some
software out there maybe still uses wd device nodes to access the
drives, those where not dropped but made aliases to their newer ad
counterparts.

HTH
-Christoph Sold