Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:03:05 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupt data with vinum in 4.6.2-RELEASE

On Tuesday,  8 October 2002 at 21:44:53 -0700, Jack Twilley wrote:
> I had a bad experience this weekend with vinum, SCSI and new disks,
> and I'm not sure which part's at fault.

Well, you're getting mulitple error messages from the SCSI subsystem,
and none from Vinum.

> I installed ten new 4G disks, built two striped plexes of five disks
> each, and mirrored them.  Two drives on the second plex generated
> pages of SCSI errors on the console when I was populating the new
> volume from my backups.  Many of the files were corrupted in the
> restore.  The vinum statistics reported no errors for the drive.  I
> stopped the second plex, rebooted, and did another restore.  The
> restore went flawlessly.  I started the second plex, and the same
> two drives generated pages of SCSI errors on the console.  Still no
> errors reported by vinum.  The files were corrupted.  What's going
> on here?

I don't know.  All I see is SCSI errors.  That shouldn't cause
corruption, but then neither should Vinum.  I'd suggest you attend to
the SCSI problems and see if the others go away; I'd expect them to.
If you want to follow the Vinum aspect, see the man page for details
of how to solve problems.

Greg