Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 15:51:53 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: route issue

Yavuz Ma?lak wrote:

> Hello
>

> On freebsd8.2   when i run netstat -rn   i see  below;
>
> # netstat -rn | grep -r "127.0.0.1"
> 127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UHS         0  1462933    lo0
>
> As flag  i think that it should be UH  but on my server as above;
>
> How can i fix it ?

Please show us your entire netstat -rn output, as well as entire ifconfig -a
output, and even possibly the relevant network config lines from
/etc/rc.conf too. I'm wondering if you have no other interfaces configured
so it is defaulting back to this. The 'S' flag usually shows up in manually
configured interfaces for network cards, e.g. NICs with an ifconfig line to
activate them in /etc/rc.conf.

Perhaps you are missing or have something slightly misconfigured in
/etc/rc.conf. Possibilities might include no defaultrouter, hostname, etc.
Note that /etc/rc.conf should be used for overriding defaults. The defaults
are in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and this file should be left alone.

Note the following are already in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

network_interfaces="auto"	# List of network interfaces (or "auto").
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"	# default loopback device configuration.

Maybe you have a network_interfaces="<iface1> <iface1> [...] <iface lo0>"
manually listing the interfaces in /etc/rc.conf which is overriding the
default "auto". Just some guessing on my part to give you some ideas.

-Mike