Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:06:29 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An opaque refcount type

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 12:24:50PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> Here's another bikeshed war for everyone to get in on:  I've implemented a
> relatively light weight and very simple opaque reference counter.  It defines
> an opaque refcount_t type.  In the INVARIANTS case, this maps to a structure

I find myself wanting something more like a gated refcount; if the
gate is "open", then bump the reference (all atomically), otherwise
fail.  However, it isn't quite clear what to do on a release, and it
probably is not going to fit into this model.

I can say at this point that I'm going to need something more
complicated than what is proposed for reference counts on route entries
and code that can be kld{load/unload}ed.
--
Jonathan