Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:03:26 -0300
From:      Vinicius Abrahao <vinnix.bsd@gmail.com>
To:        "John D. Hendrickson" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg is making the machine freezes when exit

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:33 PM, John D. Hendrickson <johnandsara2@cox.net>
wrote:

> question: can you switch to VT before you exit X11 ?

No, when I press ctrl+alt+Fx all frezes, ping to this machine stop to
respond too.

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

the xorg.conf file: https://gist.github.com/vinnix/563e41f052de822fe445
and Xorg.0.log file: https://gist.github.com/vinnix/d40a869bbb8e8bffd819
if it may help.

> check X.org and look to see if there are advice on your card about issues

I will thake a look carefuly in the X.org site, try to found something
related.
I also find this interesting URL,
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/WITH_NEW_XORG ,
at the end of this, a table with something about "VT switching" (what I
believe that is my problem).

> ### for this question (the first)
>
> i'm going to ask:
>
> did you have a (telnet) in and run a video mode restorer program ?  or
> maybe have one run when X exits ?

If I understand your question well, I am not accessing X by any other
programs. Just using the normal "startx",
directly on the console of the machine in question. The CPU is a i5/4xxx if
that matters.
What I also can see in https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics is ["Haswell"
<not supported>, note:
See Update i915 GPU driver to Linux 3.8
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8>;
].

> whateelse happens at X exit?  if it's a kernel video mode support who
> knows what braindamage it "could be" - you need to find a way to show us
> (by logs) an error message.  (but i bet if you use VESA support it works)

when X exits, by switching to VT (with ctrl+alt+f1 key) or just exit:

10/stable: the monitor (that is plugged in VGA port) turns the sinal LED as
off (from blue to orange).
11/current: the screen freezes (but also the entire machine as far as I
know, because network stop to respond).

> freeBSD has new "class permissions" and pam and such and integrated into
> kernel even.  perhaps when X exits - freeBSD has an auth problem it cannot
> resolve and freezes.

yeah, that sounds a new stuff to me. I will go more deeper in to this
topics, recently I move to -current to
se if I could help others with somes tests, patches, etc..

> remember the "reason" (i never beleived them) X.org is needed for new
> video cards is they respect no rules on the hardware BUS or with X11's
> requests.  they said X.org was needed to resolve video card hangs for new
> cards.  but that's still and issue: but they deleted all old video card
> support.  so i'm sure they got their card to work, maybe.  mine: they
> damaged.

sure, X.org can do that. Certainly is not a easy task manage delicate code
with "moody" cards.

now I will try two more test, run only with "vesa" driver, and then try
also to plug on TV by HDMI port
(yes, the mother board has 4 video exits: VGA, HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort).
And just see what happens.

thanks in advance for your time and help,
vinnix