Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Foobar" <jfoobar1@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X problems, please advise helpless newbie

I have been unable to get X to start successfully.
Hopefully I am overlooking something stupid.

FreeBSD 4.6.2 on an Intel machine

My graphics card is an Intel 82845G/GL.  I searched
for info on the Intel site and it mentioned that this
card is in the i810 class.

From my XF86Config file:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "i810"
    Chipset  "i810"
    Card    "Intel i810"
End Section

I have added the agp_load="YES" line to
/boot/loader.conf and /dev/agpgart exists.

'startx' returns the following:

--------------------------------
(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (Device not
configured)
(EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available.  Make
sure your kernel has agpgart support or that the
agpgart kernel module is loaded.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

<snip>

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown)
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv:1: bad dusplay name in ":0" in "remove"
command
xauth: (argv:1: bad dusplay name in ":0" in "remove"
command

I really have no idea what to do next.  Any help would
be appreciated, the more layman the terms, the better.

Thanks,
Justin