Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:20:44 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> It is not an issue of retrying forever; typical BIOS implementations
> will seek and retry.

Typical FreeBSD implementations will seek and retry.  UTSL.

> I think the problem lies in the use of sector instead of track based
> reads and writes, actually.  Doing a sector at a time can add a lot
> of slop-error.

Why and how?  If a FDC fails to detect the sector ID field reliably, i
would call it `broken hardware'.  The first sector ID field is not
more magic than any other sector ID field, btw.  Even full-track reads
will have to decode each sector ID field separately (unless you're
going to read a raw track, but that's nothing you would do except for
debugging purposes).

Terry, again, you don't know what you're talking about.  Have you ever
programmed a NE765/i8272 yourself?  I doubt it.  You would make more
qualified comments if you had.

>  To keep multitrack writes streaming would require
> two track buffers, BTW.

Why?  The inter-sector gaps of floppies are large enough to give the
CPUs that are in use these days time to setup the next transfers.  Let
alone track-to-track seek times.  (Our floppies don't use track
skewing, so you always lose about 3/4th of a revolution when seeking.
Plenty of time.)

> The track buffer would act as a cache.  Inter-track seeking would
> be a bit slowed by this, but the MSDOSFS should probably see a good
> performance improvement, especially since locality dictates that
> most of the interesting pieces of the FAT will be in one buffer
> or the other.

If msdosfs is too stupid to cache the FAT, that's nothing a device
driver should fix.  There's the entire buffer cache in between.

--
cheers, J"org