Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:52:39 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNATS problems/questions

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Steve Price wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Jim Mock wrote:
>
> # First of all, the box I'm doing this on also mirrors the FreeBSD
> # website.  This part of it seems to cause a problem when trying to
> # search the FreeBSD PR database on the local mirror.  The Category
> # part of the search form has the categories for our local GNATS
> # database instead of the FreeBSD database.  Is this a known
> # problem/effect?  If so, how do I fix it?
>
> Only the latest version (3.107b) of GNATS supports multiple PR
> databases.  It is not as simple as an upgrade though since they
> changed the index file format.  Your best bet is putting your
> database in /opt for instance and tweaking the scripts to run
> from there.

I tried compiling the 3.107b source and the make install dies..

/bin/sh /usr/home/jim/gnats-3.107-beta/install-sh -c -m 644 gnats.el
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnats.el
/bin/sh /usr/home/jim/gnats-3.107-beta/install-sh -c -m 644 gnats.elc
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnats.elc
install:  gnats.elc does not exist
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I could always set it up on another box so it doesn't interfere with
the FreeBSD mirror.  I'm more worried about getting it working
properly than worrying about getting it working on a specific box.

> # Another thing that I can't seem to change is the class section of
> # the PR form when using send-pr triax.  It brings everything up
> # properly except for the classes I've specified for our local site.
> # Those are still set to the defaults.  I've read a ton of docs on
> # GNATS, however most seem quite old, and I've found nothing about
> # either of the problems I'm having.
>
> You'll need to edit the perl cgi scripts.  The values are
> hard-coded in there, so just making GNATS aware of the changes
> only gets you half the way there.

I'm talking about running send-pr from the command line here.  I did a
reinstall last night and before I did I renamed the existing send-pr
to send-pr-fbsd.  That seemed to take care of problems I was having
with the categories, but the classes are still the defaults.  Here's
what I have in the classes file..

addition::New users to set up.
change-request::Change existing user info.
removal::Remove existing account.
web-bug::Web site errors.

But when I run send-pr, here's what shows up in it for the class..

>Class:         <[ sw-bug | doc-bug | change-request | support ] (one line)>

>From what you wrote, I assume you were talking about the perl scripts
for wwwgnats.  I haven't even gotten that far yet, I want to make sure
everything works from the command line first.  Didn't there used to be
a port of wwwgnats?  I can't find it anywhere though.  The only two I
find are gnats-3.106b and tkgnats-3.0.8.  What happened to it?

Jim

: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| web: http://www.triax.com/	:
: Triax Internet Services	| ----------------------------- :
: Portland, OR USA		| FreeBSD: The Power to Serve	:
: Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	| http://www.freebsd.org/	: