Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:10:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4-STABLE, vmware2 delaying fsync indefinitely?

Recently the behaviour of vmware on my 4-STABLE machine has altered; I'm
not sure if this classes as a bug or not, so I'm soliciting opinions.

Symptoms: vmware runs as normal. (I've got WinNT under it.) These days,
vmware2-2.0.3.799_1 will exit immediately if I suspend and exit the
program (prior to _1, it synced status to disk).

However, I was slightly concerned when I came to shut down FreeBSD;
the external drive (which the VMWare virtual disk occupies) went into
several minutes of activity at the point where it was being unmounted.

This seemed odd; I've since done a bit of experimenting and the activity
can be triggered after exiting vmware (at pretty much an arbitrary
length of time) by fsyncing * in the vmware external directory.

There's quite a bit of memory in this machine (378MB) - my question is
this: is this a late flushing of mmapped pages marked dirty, or does
this behavior occur even if the pages were not touched? - And shouldn't
those pages (if dirty) be flushed to disk in a "reasonable" amount of
time*, rather than hanging around for (in one case) two weeks?

Cheers,
jan

* sync(2) doesn't cause the flush; fsync(1 or 2) will.

Whenever I see a dog salivate I get an insatiable urge to ring a bell.