Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:55:14 -0400
From:      Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Changing the domain name

>uname -a lists information about the kernel. The hostname displayed
>within its output is the host and user who compiled that kernel. The
>only way to change that name is to build another kernel on the machine
>you want its name to appear.
>
>HTH
>-Christoph Sold

Thanks. You proved I was wrong. The output of uname has nothing to do
with the problem. I've recompiled, uname doesn't mention my.domain,
but named still only accepts my.domain.

The following files contain no mention of my.domain.
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/namedb/named.conf
named will accept only my.domain in the following file:
    /etc/namedb/localhost.rev

The output of hostname is
    staunton.bodd_der.net
The output of uname -a is
    FreeBSD staunton.bodd_der.net 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #1:
    Wed Jul 4 14:11:20 EDT 2001     root@staunton.bodd_der.net:
    /usr/src/sys/compile/STAUNTON  i386

According to The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Leahy, I'm supposed to put my
fully qualified domain name in localhost.rev. When I do that, I get
the following error message after HUPing named:
    host name "staunton.bodd_der.net" (Owner "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa")
IN (primary)
    is invalid
This is followed by too many error messages to transfer via the
ten-finger interface.

Something seems to be mapping 127.0.0 to my.domain, and named won't
accept anything else. Does anyone have any idea what file it might
be? I've spent the last 24 hours, with about 6 hours off for sleep,
searching in the documentation for the answer, and I can't find
anything.

Bob Hall

Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.     -Khushhal Khan Khatak
MySQL list magic words: sql query database