Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:52:34 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New TCP sequence number generation algorithm; review needed

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:51:42AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > 6)    This adds per-connection state, which is evil
> >       when you want a lot of connections: the way to
> >       get a lot of connections is to remove as much
> >       per-connection state as possible, which in turn
> >       reduces your per-connection resource costs, and
> >       that in turn increases the number of connections
> >       you are capable of sustaining with a constant
> >       set of resources.
> >
> Umm, this adds a per-destination, not per-connection state.

For things like web servers, where the destination is a
client PC with a single user, the net effect is per-connection
state, since magnitude(connection) == magnitude(destination).

The only escape is an edge proxy for multiple clients at a
single site.

I agree that this is a possibility, but I think the majority
of web site traffic is single client, no pedge proxy.

Note that even if there _is_ an edge proxy, that the proxy
itself will satisfy the request: the origin server will
never see it.  As a result, we are back to ther being a
direct correlation,. i.e.: magnitude(connection) ==
magnitude(destination), from the point of view of the
server.

-- Terry