Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:21:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!: config changes...

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Chia-liang Kao wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anyway to put the device.hint stuff into kernel nevertheless?
> > My diskless box fetches the kernel would know nothing about things reside
> > in device.hint.
>
> That is what the hints directive is for.
>
> you could create a file "diskless.hints" and add the line to your config
> file:
>   hints "/wherever/diskless.hints"
> and the contents of that file would be statically compiled in.  You can still
> override them at boot time if you wish, but the basic set will be there.
>
> This is what GENERIC does right now.  It compiles GENERIC.hints straight in.
> (see hints.c in compile/YOURKERNEL)

This thread is long, so maybe I missed something.. Can we have the *.hints
file loadable as a module of some special type (like kernel.conf), and
searched for during configuration like userconfig did?

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----