Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 20:09:00 -1000
From:      "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot blocks

At 03:17 PM 7/1/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Art Neilson, KH7PZ wrote:
>
>> OK you guys!!  How do I rebuild the bios boot blocks?  I read
>> thru the README.serial in /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot and
>> know I need to recompile and install the new boot blocks.
>
>	You don't mention what version of freebsd you're using, but if you
>are using 3.0 or higher the actual place to rebuild the boot blocks is
>/sys/boot. The rest of /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial applies
>though.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!  Sorry I didn't mention the
Release level, it's 3.2-R,

>> I altered /etc/make.conf to hardcode the serial port address
>> for a serial console and also set the speed to 19200.  I did
>> do the make in the /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot directory
>> however did not do the make install yet as I fear I need to
>> do a disklabel after that to enable the blocks and don't know
>> the correct command to use.
>
>	Why do you think that? It's not mentioned in any documentation I
>can find. All you should have to do is 'make all install clean' in
>/sys/boot and then reboot.

Here's why I thought that - excerpt taken from the file
/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial follows:

  Again, it's usually assumed that COM1 will be available for use as a
  console device on a dedicated file/compute/terminal server, so hopefully
  you'll never need to do this. But if you feel you must change the console
  to a different port, here's how:

        o Get the kernel source package.
        o Edit /etc/make.conf and set BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT to the
          address of the port you want to use (0x3F8, 0x2F8, 0x3E8 or
          0x2E8). Only COM1 through COM4 can be used; multiport serial
          cards will not work. No interrupt setting is needed.
        o Create a custom kernel configuration file and add appropriate
          `flags' for the serial port you want to use. For example, if you
          want to make COM2 the console:

          device sio1 at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty flags 0x10 irq 3

          The console flags for the other serial ports should not be set.
        o Recompile both the boot blocks and the kernel.
>>----> o Install the boot blocks with the disklabel command and boot
          from the new kernel.

$Id: README.serial,v 1.10 1998/10/22 15:31:33 bde Exp $

The line with the arrow on it :^) shows the questionable bullet in the README.
I of course want to be sure I am doing this the right way, I don't want to
mess
up the boot block so the system won't come up.

Thanks!!

   __
  /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.
 /--/ __  /    Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories,
/  (_/ (_<__   Instead of theories to suit facts.
                     -- Sherlock Holmes, "A Scandal in Bohemia"
Arthur W. Neilson III, KH7PZ
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
art@hawaii.rr.com