Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 21:42:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ARP errors?

Hello all! I'm a FreeBSD newbie, so please bare with me if
this question is very simple.

I have a simple home LAN setup of 2 computers: one is
Windoze 98 and the other I recently installed with FreeBSD
3.4-RELEASE. Furthermore, I am running natd on the BSD box
with two NICs. Both NICs are plugged into my hub and so is
my 98 box. Also, my cable modem is connected to the hub as
well (in the uplink port). So that's 4 connections going
into the hub total (2 from BSD, 1 from 98, & 1 from my
cable modem).

My 98 box has the ip of 192.168.0.6. My BSD box has 2 ips,
one from the cable provider (on ed1, 24.xx.xx.xx) and the
other is 192.168.0.1 (on ed2).

Now everything works fine. natd works great, so does named,
and the firewall as well. However, I get this annoying
message on my BSD box:

/kernel: arp: 192.168.06 is on ed2 but got reply from
00:c0:a8:50:9e:a7 on ed1.

What does this exactly mean? and how do I correct it?

My guess is that if I simply plug my cable modem directly
into ed1 I wouldn't get this result. However, I feel though
I shoudn't be getting this in the first place. Can anyone
help?

BTW, this is what an arp -a reveals:

sunnie$ arp -a
? (24.xx.xx.xx) at 0:0:xx:xx:xx:xx [ethernet]
? (192.168.0.6) at 0:c0:a8:50:9e:a7 [ethernet]

Many thanx in advance.

=====
PGP public key:
http://i.am/dennisjun/