Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:25:57 -0600
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4-REL:  USB stops working after random uptime

I've recently started having problems with the two USB devices I have
plugged in.  When the system boots, it sees them just fine, and is more
than happy to mount my USB Zip drive and/or my SanDisk CF reader.  At
some seemingly-random period of time (last was after an uptime of about
45 days, today's failure was after an uptime of only three days), the
USB devices simply stop working, and instead of getting a filesystem
mounted, I get:

   n5ial-2 (18:07) # mount /nikon
   msdos: /dev/da1s1: Device not configured
   zsh: exit 71    mount /nikon

Once this starts, attempting to mount a Zip disk will either result in
the same error message (except with a different device, of course) or
mount will simply hang (i.e., it doesn't ever return anything---it
seems to get stuck waiting on something)....  Oh, and sometimes, when
this happens, the system won't shutdown cleanly---that also hangs (I
haven't paid enough attention to see if there's a pattern, but I'd bet
that this is related to the mount attempt getting stuck).

System: FreeBSD n5ial-2.private.n5ial 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #0

Right now, the only solution I know is to reboot the system.  I *KNOW*
there's got to be a better way...but what?

Any help, suggestions, etc., would be most welcome.  For now, however,
I'm going to reboot the fscking thing.  :-(

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "Debating unix flavors in the context of anything
jim@n5ial.gnt.net       | Microsoft is like talking about which ice cream