Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 16:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Odd kpasswd problem in 3.5-STABLE and MIT Krb5.

Hi,

Here's the situation; I have two FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE servers running MIT
Krb5 from ports.  From all accounts, it works fine, except for kpasswd.
When I originally set up these boxes a couple of years ago, kpasswd
worked fine.  Then in when I updated the port to 1.1.2, it stopped
working.  When invoking kpasswd on these boxes, it asks for your old
password, then your new passwd, then a re-confirmation.  Then it just
sits there for a minute and come back with the response:

"kpasswd: Operation timed out changing password"

I thought perhaps that MIT changed the protocol slightly between versions,
thus having to update our KDC as well.  Then I installed 4.3-RELEASE on
some new boxes, and after installing MIT Krb5 1.2.2 from ports, kpasswd
worked fine.

I have since updated the Krb5 installs on the 3.5-STABLE boxes to 1.2.2,
and kpasswd still times out.  I have checked /etc/services and
/etc/krb5.conf, and they are exactly the same.  Has anyone experienced
this and if so, how did they get around it?

Best Wishes - Peter Losher
--
Peter.Losher@nominum.com - [ Systems Admin. | Nominum, Inc. ]