Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:14:18 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   locking in -current. donate 15 minutes.

I would like to put together a small documant describing
the various aspects of locing involved in the -current
kernel.

this goes from the giant lock, all the way through to standard
things such as the vnode locking, and more diverse
things such as the FreeBSD lock-manager.
locked buffers, vm objects etc. are all of interest.

I have been unable to find such a document,
so if anyone would like to contribute a paragraph or two about
any locking they feel they can talk about,
(whether a simple thing such as
"locks in the foo subsystem" to:
"how the lockmanager works"
please send me info or pointers.

examples of questions I don't have lear answers for..
"when exactly is the right time to use the "interlock" locks in vnode
locking an dwhat do they do?

what is an interlock in the context of  the lock manager?

what locking should filesystems do in SMP?

how is the 'giant lock' implemented? and how does a kernel
thread use it? (e.g. syncer() for soft updates)

If I can get a few paragraphs from many people on this I can make
something worth while from this..

spend 15 minutes to sent me a paragraph of your choice
and get involved :-)

julian