Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:37:23 +0200
From:      "Cornelius, Peter" <peter.cornelius@comsoft.de>
To:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'pcc@gmx.net'" <pcc@gmx.net>
Subject:   4.6-STABLE: SEGV in endpwent(3) ?

Hi there,

I have a peculiar and reproducable problem where bash(1)(and probably
truss(1), too) vomits in a endpwent(3) call. It happens always when I hit
<TAB> after I inserted a tilde ~ character, regardless of whether I then
type a user name (it used to go into the user's homedir if so). What am I
doing wrong?

The system has been updated with ctm yesterday and had its world built and
installed this morning and the problem seems to occur since then. For
completeness' sake, here's `uname -a`:

FreeBSD host.domain.de 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #17: Tue Jul  9
11:06:02 CEST 2002     root@host.domain.de:/usr/src/sys/compile/HOST  i386

The box is a NIS client, but the error occurs with both local and NIS users.
Currently, it's 'only' a major nuisance to me since I do use '~' a lot, but
it may be more as a rather basic function is involved (and truss(1) also
dies). Since it's reliable, I could also produce core dumps to interested
people and whatever truss(1) manages to put out, if at all required.

Any hints appreciated,

thanks a lot and best regards,

Peter.

(P. S.: Please honor the Reply-To:, it makes life easier for me ;-) Ta.)

---
gdb bt follows.
---
bash-2.05b$ gdb bash
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/bash
bash-2.05b$ ls -la ~co
0x80aa411 in endpwent ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x80aa411 in endpwent ()
#1  0x80aab89 in endpwent ()
#2  0x80a9b39 in getpwent ()
#3  0x808e4e9 in rl_username_completion_function ()
#4  0x808e41d in rl_completion_matches ()
#5  0x8070ce8 in attempt_shell_completion ()
#6  0x808d382 in gen_completion_matches ()
#7  0x808e1d9 in rl_complete_internal ()
#8  0x808cafa in rl_complete ()
#9  0x808945e in _rl_dispatch_subseq ()
#10 0x8089302 in _rl_dispatch ()
#11 0x80891b9 in readline_internal_char ()
#12 0x8089285 in readline_internal_charloop ()
#13 0x80892a0 in readline_internal ()
#14 0x8088ee5 in readline ()
#15 0x804b574 in yy_readline_get ()
#16 0x804b4d5 in yy_getc ()