Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:23:18 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        adam palitz <adampalitz@earthlink.net>
Cc:        free bsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pulling my hair out

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 02:41:05AM -0700, adam palitz wrote:

> Ok...so let me get this straight...the installer doesn't let me
> actually chosse the names of my partions...that part has to be
> standardized? what kind of sense does that make? if its going to put
> everything into / , and .usr why does it promt me for other partions
> in the first place...I understand of course that people would like to
> create other partions then just /, var, and usr, but I just don't get
> why the system wouldn't allow me to decide what files I want where

Because you have to have the /, /var, /usr subdirectories present
on any Unix system. If you do not make a /usr filesystem then the
installer will place the /usr subdirectory on the / filesytem. Note
the distinction between subdirectory and filesystem. You can create
other file systems and name them what you want. Do not forget that when
you will be adding ports and/or packages that you will be installing
those into /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 so your /usr filesystem or your
/ filesystem containing the /usr subdirectory must be large enough to
accommodate these.

> also
> I didn't choose the auto-config because it didn't have an autoconfig
> I suppose thats strange?

One of the choices on the disklabel screen is 'A'. This will
auto configure your filesystems.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252