Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:51:27 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        jmaps-fbsdnet@fireburns.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple ISP routing by port

jmaps-fbsdnet@fireburns.net wrote:
> I've read through what I could find in this list and also in the
> top 50 results on google... I can't find anything that'll actually
> make this work.

yes this i stricky for several reasons

> My DSL ISP is too far away to give me anything faster than 1.5mbps
> down. In despiration I signed up for comcast to use for bulk
> traffic.

I sympathize.  I can only get 800kb/s at 17000 feet..
(1.5Mb/s works *sometimes*)

> Thus, I want to route critical traffic (22, 25, 53, (maybe) 80,
> 443) through the DSL provider and the rest through cable.
>
> I really feel like this should be possible with PF with something
> like:
>
> nat on $dsl_if from ($int_if:network) to any port $dslports ->
> ($dsl_if) nat on $cbl_if from ($int_if:network) to any -> ($cbl_if)

well, yes but you are only doing the nat on teh interface AFTER
the decision has been made as to which interface it will go out on.

> or
>
> pass in quick on $int_if route-to { ($dsl_if $dsl_gw) } proto { tcp
> udp } from ($int_if:network) to any port $dslports
>
> Neither (or both) seem to do it. All traffic ends up getting routed
> through whichever ISP i have set as the default route.

in 7.1 you now have the ability to have multiple routing tables.
(in 8.0 you also have multiple defaults)

now I'm not a pf person, prefering ipfw
but in ipfw you can do:

setfib 1 ip from any to any 80,22,25,53 in recv ${inside_if}
    all other packets will use FIB 0..

and then nat on each interface...
the you define two routing tables (FIBs) with different default routes.

pf has in 8.0 got multiple fib support
but I can't remember if it is in 7.1. you'll have to check

> Now, I hear i can go over to linux and just configure both default
> routes at the same time (trivial with iproute2). But I'd rather
> avoid that if at all possible.

in 8.x you can do that too.