Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:23:51 +0200
From:      Rolf G Nielsen <lazlar@lazlarlyricon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tracing mouse events

--------------010605070603030103040803

Does anyone know a utility, that would let me se mouse events in human
readable form? I recently bought a new mouse, which moused reports as
having 16 buttons, and xmodmap -pp reports 15 buttons.

As far as I can see, it doesn't have 15 or 16 physical buttons. If I
count the wheel as two buttons, I get 8 or possibly 10:

left & right (two buttons)
pushing the wheel (one button)
scrolling the wheel (two "buttons")
tilting the wheel left or right (two "buttons", which I guess are
intended for horizontal scrolling)
and a thumb button (one button)

There are also two buttons, that increase or decrease the resolution of
the mouse, but I don't think those generate any mouse events.

I'd like to find out which button is which, so I can install an actual
xmodmap that I'm happy with.

/Rolf Nielsen

--------------010605070603030103040803--