Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:39:47 -0400
From:      G Norm <gnorm@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mountroot prompt

Can someone help me with a problem that I am having after building  &
installing a custom kernel? I recently cvsup'ed from 4.4 release to 4.6
stable. That process went well. I went on to compile and install a
custom kernel and that seem to have gone well also.

My problem is, now the computer will not boot normally. The boot process
fails with the following message.

Mounting root from usf:/dev/ad0s1a
no such device 'ad'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
					  eg. ufs:/dev/daos1a
	?				List valid disk boot devices
	<empty line>		Abort manual input

mountroot>

According to the book that I am reading I should boot into the old
kernel by pressing the appropriate F-key to get past the bootloader to
try to fix this problem. I have no idea which F-key is the appropriate
F-Key so I have not been able to get past the boot loader to try the
recommended command, boot /boot/kernel.old.

I have not been able to boot into my old kernel.

Gregory Norman