Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:15:00 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   recent 11.1-stable oddness

Hello stable@

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed the following new behaviours from
11.1 stable [only took note of the revision from the last update which
was r330243 unfortunately as I thought it was my config/fault initially]:

shutdown -r now no longer works as it did (ie: shutdown and reboot).
What happens now is that it gets to:

"syncing disks, vnodes remaining...5 5 5 4 0 0 0 done
All buffers synced
Swap device [file] removed. <<<<<-- there is no swapfile installed!
Uptime: (whatever the uptime was)
ukbd0: detached
ums0: detached
uhid0: detached
uhub6: detached
ukbd1: detached
uhub3: detached
umass0: detached
uhub0: detached

...and there it sits until a hard reset via the power button is applied.

Reboot and poweroff still work as one would expect.

also, why is it talking about a swapfile? There is a swap partition but
no swapfile:

# swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ada0s1b      3974580        0  3974580     0%

# swapctl -l
Device:       1024-blocks     Used:
/dev/ada0s1b    3974580         0

# cat /etc/fstab
# Device	Mountpoint	FStype		Options	Dump	Pass#
/dev/ada0s1a	/		ufs		rw	1	1
/dev/ada0s1b	none		swap		sw	0	0
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0       0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0       0
fdescfs 	/dev/fd         fdescfs         rw,late 0       0

any ideas?

thanks,
-
J.