Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:11:05 +0200
From:      Juha Erkkila <erkkila@cc.jyu.fi>
To:        Alistair Phillips <file13@rentboy.co.za>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to configure sendmail to send mail locally?

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 09:07:37AM +0200, Alistair Phillips wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I had the exact same problem that you had, what with not being able to send
> mail to local persons.  The error turned out to be that /etc/hosts was
> missing the following
>
>     ::1    localhost    localhost
>
> The ::1 is a IPv6 loopback address as for some reason was missing from my
> initial install (even though I did not touch a thing).
>
> So maybe try that and let me know what happens?  Straight after adding that
> everything just fell into place and worked.  Hope its that easy for you!

well it wasn't quite this easy, but you gave me a hint where to look
at.  sendmail appears to want that all (or most?) of myhost,
myhost.mydomain, localhost and localhost.mydomain resolve to
127.0.0.1, and ::1, so that it is willing to send mail locally.
so i did this:

% hostname
a.o.t

% cat /etc/resolv.conf
127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.o.t a a.o.t
::1		localhost localhost.o.t a a.o.t

and it works now.  i don't see why i had to put '::1 ...' line
there as well (i haven't enabled IPv6 in /etc/rc.conf nor
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf), but it works now so i don't care.. ;-)

thanks for the tip.  still having problems with ppp and soundcard,
though...

happy new year 2003

--
People must not do things for fun.  We are not here for fun.  There is
no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.