Date:      Sun, 27 May 2018 14:24:25 +1000
From:      Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com>
To:        blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
Cc:        "M. P." <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD on Mac

> On 27 May 2018, at 13:28, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Sun, May 27, 2018, 10:03 Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> On 27 May 2018, at 10:23, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>>=20
I try
Power Fault
>>>=20
>>> I wouldn't recommend trying to run anything not Mac OS on their =
machines.
>>>=20
>>> If your Mac is up to version 11.2 or lower you should be fine.
>>>=20
>>> The new Mac hardware actively does things to thwart anyone who tries =
to run
>>> non Mac OS.
>>>=20
>>> Even if you do get it up and running, the wifi will be broken so =
you'll
>>> need a dongle.
>>>=20
>>> GPU will give you trouble as well.
>>>=20
>>> If it's one of the newer Mac with those led buttons you're totally =
out of
>>> luck.
>>>=20
>>> If you are able to reverse engineer custom hardware and write custom
>>> drivers then you might be OK.
>>>=20
>>> If not, either run FreeBSD in a VM on Mac, sell that Mac and buy a
>>> compatible laptop or ...
>>>=20
>>> Best,
>>> Owen
>>=20
>> On the contrary, I=E2=80=99ve had great success running FreeBSD on =
Apple hardware. The hardware=E2=80=99s not actively thwarting anything, =
and FreeBSD already has drivers for most of the custom or less common =
hardware. (The one exception is Wi-Fi, which is unlikely to work unless =
you have quite an old Mac.)
>>=20
>> When you say the boot process hangs, does the entire OS stop =
responding, or just the installer? Is there any more detail in the =
message than Power Fault Detected?
>>=20
>> And to answer your question, yes, the hard drive has to be formatted, =
but the FreeBSD installer will do that for you automatically.
>>=20
>> - Felix
>=20
> What Mac hardware version do you run?
> Like I said in my previous reply if the user has newer Mac hardware =
he's going to be in for a world of pain.
>=20
> I have a 11,4 retina macbook pro and it's so problematic I bought a =
new laptop.
>=20
> Audio also proves problematic.
>=20
> If the users laptop is newer than 11,2 there will be issues.
>=20
> Best,
> Owen

I=E2=80=99ve run FreeBSD on everything from a PowerBook G4 through to a =
MacBookPro12,1 (which is a retina the same vintage as the 11,4 except =
with 13" screen). Audio works fine, as does graphics (after I submitted =
a 2-line patch to fix the vt(4) hard-coded resolution limit).

A touch bar will probably cause major issues, but those are only present =
on the 13,2 and 13,3 (and their successors).

Other than that there may be minor issues (e.g. the tilde key needing to =
be remapped), but nothing that would stop me from installing FreeBSD.

- Felix=