Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:59:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> If this continues , then I suggest that we pass a vote and kick people out.

Which would only incite an additional 4 billion more mails about how
terrible/wonderful an action it was and All The Terrible Precedents
Raised Therefrom and it would all very be highly emotional, you can
bet on that.

No.  Let's not do that.  That would be criminally stupid. :-)

If you're overloaded with email from any of the freebsd lists then do
what history has shown time and again to be the only reasonable action -
unsubscribe for awhile until the dust dies down and even the most
verbose blow-hards come to the slow conclusion that maybe they Really
Should Just Shut Up about whatever topic the undying thread concerns,
it having gotten so long as to exceed even their thresholds for human
sillyness.

This process generally takes no more than 2-3 weeks in the very worst
cases, it being only rarely necessary for MCI and Sprint to intervene
with messages to admin@freebsd.org saying "For pity's sake, STOP!  Do
you realize that you're single-handedly responsible for 75% of the
congestion at 3 principle MAEs??!"

In other words, relax.  It will all blow over, just like the other
28,947 went-on-so-long-they-should-have-been-shot threads I've seen in
these mailing lists over the last 3 years. :-)

					Jordan