Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:40:53 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Anthony Barlow <tony@warp.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 promiscuous mode?

Anthony Barlow wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just got in to work this morning and saw this on my terminal:
>
> It's running FBSD.2.2.1R, P133 (Intel), 32Mbs Ram, 512KB cache, 1.7Gb IDE
> HD. NE2000 clone network card.
>
> Apr 13 15:06:43 temp1 /kernal: ed0: promiscuous mode enabled
>
> What does it mean?

It means that the ethernet controller is set up so that it receives
*all* frames coming in on the wire, not just those intended for this
host. This is normally used only if you want to monitor then network, as
it loads your CPU with the (otherwise unnecessary) job of filtering
those frames. Do you use bpf?

> temp1 is our test bed that I'm using to play around with to get used
> to FreeBSD
>
> Regards,
> Anthony
Nadav