Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:59:12 +0200
From:      Irvine Short <irvine@sanbi.ac.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS server oddities

Hi All

Many folks use this? Our NIS master server was until a recent drive
crash a 3.5 stable machine.

NIS worked OK but for ypserv intermittently core dumping and being
unable to push maps to slave servers.

I got around this by making the slave servers pull their maps more often.

The error when pushing maps to the slave servers is still there on 4.6
as is the intermittent core dumping of ypserv.

Here's the error when pushing maps:
ppush: xxxx.sanbi.ac.za       xxxx.sanbi.ac.za xxxx.sanbi.ac.za:
couldn't create udp handle to NIS server: RPC: Unknown host

How best to troubleshoot this? I've tried putting the slave servers in
/etc/hosts to no avail.

The slave servers are both Irix, one 6.5.8m the other 6.5.17m

Anyone else use the FreeBSD NIS server stuff? It seems to not have
changed much in a long time...

All help much appreciated!

--

Irvine Short

Sys Admin
SANBI, University of the Western Cape, South Africa
http://www.sanbi.ac.za
tel: +27-21-959 3645
cel: +27-82-494 3828