Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:56:34 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd trouble on FBSD 4.4-RC

Hartmann, O. wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Christoph Sold wrote:
>
>All right, while this mail came in, I did already this monitoring and
>found out something strange. The /var partition is about 2 GB in size.
>'df' shows me that 900MB are used - but that is impossible!

Well, it is not. See below.

>I checked with 'du -k' thsi partition and du showed up a usage of only 14
>MB - what seems more realistic to me. How to check the partition? where is
>the memory gone?

If you're using ghostscript, it is very well possible to have the
machine crash sending a recursive postscript print job.

>At the moment this machine has the most recent 4.4-RC installed and at this time
>I started again a make world. Last time 'MAKEDEV' after a mergemaster failed
>due to a  bug in the script (after compilation, kernel install I restarted and
>tried again MAKEDEV all in /dev but with the same failure to exclude kernel
><-> device dependencies with MAKEDEV).
>
>Indeed, the first problem occured likely due to lack of memory. But I can not
>realize why the local lpc and lpq commands can not connect to the local lpd.

When ghostscript produces lots of output, which is fed back to the
printed, lpc is usually pretty unresponsive. Have a look at top as well
as fstat for the spool volume to get an idea which process hogs your
print queue.

HTH
-Christoph Sold