Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:39:16 +0200
From:      "Vlad K." <vlad-fbsd@acheronmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

On 2017-06-22 14:15, David Demelier wrote:

> While I use quarterly ports branches, I usually update my ports tree
> before installing a new service and I faced some troubles:

What works best for us, to keep a stable production, is to track the
HEAD with svn. That way we can pre-empt changes locally, test, and
deploy into production, or block upstream changes by keeping some older
version until something else is fixed.

Otherwise as others have suggested, the problem is manpower and
backporting patches. Although, in my experience having run both Ubuntu
LTS and FreeBSD in production, when a maintainer, who is not the
developer of some software, tries to backport patches, it often results
in regressions and even more problems introduced. So I'd rather use
rolling release directly from the developers with minimal local changes.

A rolling release with clearly marked stable versions kept longer around
(ala Gentoo), is the best way to solve the problem with ports without
introducing extra manpower and the need to backport.

--
Vlad K.