Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:15:51 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Constant ssh errors - sign of security issue?

I run two FreeBSD 4.10 systems and access them via ssh2 from a Windows
XP machine running Cygwin ssh, connecting via EVDO link.  I get a
whole lot of three things:

1.  Spontaneous "read from remote host ... terminated; connection
reset by peer."  Mind, this is normal on an actual connection failure
(timeout), but this one can happen while I'm actively typing something
through the connection, and with no other evidence that my Internet
connection (at either end) is failing..

2.  On reconnect attempt, a message saying the connection was
immediately closed by the remote (FreeBSD) side.

3.  Less often and frequently on my next connection attempt after #2,
a "software connection abort" message.

The normal sequences are (4 being successful relink) 1-4, 1-2-4, and
1-2-3-4.  I think 1-2-4 and 1-4 are about equally common and 1-2-3-4
is comparatively rare.

Being unfamiliar with how all of these can happen while my actual
Internet connection (and other TCP connections for example) seems
fine, I am wondering if any of this could represent a security
issue--packet snooping/redirection/"man-in-the-middle" attacks, etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.  Please Cc me.

--
Doug Lee                 dgl@dlee.org
SSB + BART Group         doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com