Date:      Sat, 16 May 2009 15:21:54 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, mfv <mrkvrg@acm.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reading warnings when installing multiple ports

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:24:42AM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:

> On Friday 15 May 2009 19:26:00 mfv wrote:

> > > Do you have specific examples? Cause I can't think of anything that falls
> > > under your description.
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I had a recent experience with editors/openoffice.org-2.  Based on past
> > experience I know that the compile would take a few hours.  I started make
> > and left to do some chores.  When I returned I discovered that the program
> > had aborted as I did not have java installed and had to download a patch
> > from the Sun website.
>
> This can and will not ever be fixed, because it's a legal and not a technical
> issue.
> Once you know this, you know to install diablio-jdk first, which takes 5-10
> minutes pending download speed.

Yes, I know it is a legal/license issue at Sun and I sort of know to do
it now, having installed OO a couple of times.   But, the point was and is,
it would help people if the information about having to do it would
come up right at the first, so a person could have it taken care of
instead of starting an install which one knows will take hours so
leaves to do something else and comes back and finds the install
stopped hours ago because of something that could have and should
have been taken care of before actually starting the install.

Some variation of this, often involving entering a 'y' or 'n' at
some point in the middle of an install that could have been done
causing an environmental variable or some such to be set ahead of
time exists in a number of ports I have installed.   It is annoying
to come back from a bunch of tiring meetings only to see that an
install that could be finished has several more hours to run because
it was waiting all that time for a y or n.

Building that improvement into ports installs and some additional
why and wherefor information in the pkg-desc file or some other
useful and readily available place would help the ports system.
Of course, it would still be necessary to depend on the port
maintainer to provide these accurately and completely.

////jerry