Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 02:08:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What kind of attack is this?

> Yeah, I understand all that, believe it or not :).  I actually have the
> system built up partway (FreeBSD 3.3, 2 NICs working, ssh the only service,
> firewall built into kernel, etc) but it's not quite so easy to just drop it
> into place.  I need to get everyone off static IP and onto DHCP so I can
> then chop up our class C into subnets so we can actually do routing, then
> move some server's IPs around so they end up in the proper subnets, and I
> even want to drop in a 3rd NIC and have a 3-homed host.  But things that
> involve change and aren't Microsoft solutions move at a snail's pace around
> here... but I digress...

My suggestion (and how I did this same thing) is to shove the
dual-ethernet FBSD box between the Pipeline and the local ethernet, and
give it a IPFW rule of "60000 pass all from any to any" (or whatever it
is) so that the introduction of the FBSD box goes unnoticed at first.....
You can then insert rules to deny certain traffic patterns before the
"pass all" line as you need to....

Over time, you can change the general policies from pass-all to
deny-all-except-the-following -- if you do it carefully, any problems that
show up can be explained to upper management as "Sorry, but the Microsloth
implementation of that protocol has been buggy since IP was first
introduced on Win311, and the latest version of RealAudio fixed their
reliance on that particular bug."  :)

mike