Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:17:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.x -> 6.x upgrade, some notes

This weekend, I'm in the process of upgrading my Cyrus server from 4.x to 6.x,
and thought I'd send out a few notes from places I gently stubbed my toe:

(0) When you boot the 4.x user space on a 5.x kernel, you will get a lot of
     warnings about sysctls and mount.  These can be safely ignored during the
     upgrade.

(1) If you use an mfs file system, such as /tmp, in 4.x, remember to remove
     that entry from /etc/fstab before booting a 5.x user space.  I replaced my
     mfs entry in fstab with:

     tmpmfs="YES"
     tmpsize="512M"

(2) Several make.conf entries have changed.  I no longer need MAKE_KERBEROS5,
     since it's now the default, but I had to change my NOROFILE entry to
     NO_PROFILE.  I now no longer need my NOUUCP entry.

(3) Remember to rm -Rf /usr/obj before each build phase, or you can trip over
     leavings.  For example, I can't compile a 6.x world on a 5.x user space
     with 4.x and 5.x leavings in /usr/obj.

(4) I use postfix, not sendmail, and had to add the following line to my
     /etc/rc.conf so that my 4.x postfix build could be properly stopped and
     restarted using /etc/rc.d/sendmail:

     sendmail_procname="/usr/local/libexec/postfix/master"

     Likewise, I'm probably missing some entries in /etc/mail/mailer.conf;
     there are two new ones since 4.x.  rc.d is still getting upset because the
     aliases.db isn't getting rebuild as a result of running newaliases, and
     warning about it each start/stop event.

(5) Speaking of which, if you want to run 4.x binaries, remember to build a
     kernel with COMPAT_FREEBSD4 :-).  Right now I don't have compat4x packages
     installed, since I've left the old libraries in place, but should either
     do that or update the packages installed.

(6) At some point, megemaster created an /etc/pam.d on 4.x, possibly user
     error on my part, and having an empty pam.d directory turns out to really
     upset PAM, which can't find any config files there, but won't use pam.conf
     because the directory is there.  A serial console is a good thing(tm).

(7) Switching to a custom kernel configuration file based in "include" is a
     very good thing.

Robert N M Watson