Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:34:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Joachim Isaksson" <Joachim.Isaksson@ibfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IrDA? PnP?

In message <000a01be842b$eeff6e10$f56d17c2@home.ibfs.com> "Joachim Isaksson" writes:
: 1) Is anyone already working on IrDA support?

Yes.  However, they are doing it in Linux.

http://www.cs.uit.no/~dagb/irda/irda.html The Linux/IR Project

: 2) If noone has already started it, how should IrDA be implemented?
: I started off thinking of IrDA as a bus, but then I saw something about
: Linux implementing it as a network protocol(?) Still it would to me make
: sense to implement it as a bus (a'la USB?) with PnP devices, but I'd rather
: have input on this before doing something terribly silly :)

They implemented it as a protocol stack, which it is.  The IrDA stuff
is a layered protocol thing, with file transfer and printer servier
stuff.  When viewed as a stack, many things become easier to
implement.

: 3) I've been trying to understand the PnP functionality of FreeBSD, but so
: far I've failed miserably. Is there any good documentation on the subject
: besides the source code?

No.

: 4) As I (so far) understand it, the PnP functionality is a special "hack"
: for the ISA bus right now and could not easily be extended to integrate PnP
: devices on the IrDA bus? Is this assumption correct? If so, is anyone

Yes.  PnP is too generic a term to have generic code.  PCI pnp and
parallel port PnP are both radically different than isa pnp or serial
port pnp.

: 5) Is there any reason (besides the probably rather major work it would
: mean) not to move most if not all FreeBSD drivers to dynamically loadable
: modules? It would sure be easier for the "common man" to add device drivers,
: and it would make things like PnP much easier to implement in a dynamic way.

There are a raft of tiny technical issues that currently preclude this
for most drivers.  However, work is underway to rectify the
shortcomings of config.

Warner