Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:57:01 +0100
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Machine-specific errors with top and uemacs

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting the top utility to run on a particular
machine (a self-built PII).  I initially did a binary install of 4.0 from
the CD, which worked fine except for top, which returned:

  top: nlist failed

I then upgraded the machine to a recent verion of STABLE from cvsupped
source, rebuilt the kernel etc. and tried top again.  I'm still getting the
same error.  Another FreeBSD box built from the exact same source code has
no problems, so I think it's specific to the machine itself.

Initially, I thought it was some sort of not rebuilding the kernel after an
installworld type thing, but I've rebuilt the kernel several times now :-(

The only other thing which doesn't work properly on the affected box is
uemacs, which will always core dump when trying to open a file:

  elf% uemacs Makefile
  [Function key window ON]Segmentation fault(core dumped)
  elf%

(uemacs will actually launch fine if no argument is provided, but falls
over when trying to access a file)

Again, this was a problem with both the original 4.0 install and the
rebuilt system.

Does anyone have any pointers or tips for how I can diagnose the problem
for myself?

Thanks,

Dave